Friday, September 16, 2011

We Love Regina!

Chris had a conference to attend in Regina last week and asked if I would like to go and I said, "of course I want to go"! We were there for 5 glorious days and enjoyed every single minute of it.  I shopped, we visited good friends and we both just enjoyed being back "home" again for awhile.



Years ago the Mayor of Regina really wanted to get Reginans excited about living there so he came up with a program. There were t-shirts, posters, pins, tags and a bunch of other stuff made and this is where my tag has been for many years. On my backpack. I use this whenever I travel anywhere because I Love Regina!

PS The little lady bug buttons on my backpack were one of my mothers favorite things.



Now this place is a true landmark in Regina. It's on Victoria Avenue and it's very popular! It's been there for as long as Chris can remember. It's only open for maybe 6 months of the year but everyone who is anyone knows the best ice cream in Regina is at the Milky Way. (This picture was taken at 8am in the morning so that's why there isn't a line up around the building.)



This picture was taken while driving down Albert Street. Again, it's early in the morning so it's pretty quiet. Albert Street runs North-South and divides the city right down the middle. It's lined with trees as you head south. All along the right side of the street are most of the historic homes in the city.



This road is called Gordon Road and it runs East-West. We lived down this road about 1/4 mile and to the left. I have driven this road hundreds of times in the 18 years we lived in Regina. This is another road that has huge trees and is so pretty in the summer. There is nothing like Regina in the summer months! The very last tree you see way down at the end of the road used to be the edge of the city but right beyond that is now developed into houses and a shopping center. It just isn't he same anymore.



Okay, now this was a real treat for me. Room service! I felt very spoiled and enjoyed every bite. Yogurt and granola with fresh fruit. Our room was pretty sweet too because we had a corner room on the 24th floor. Seeing the view of the city from that high was really fun. We of course were right downtown so we were able to see 3 of the buildings that Chris built years ago.



This place is not in Regina. It's in Medicine Hat, Alberta but we stopped there on our way to and from Regina because a friend of Chris' from the College raved about it. And now we know why. It has probably 40 different flavors of milkshakes with one of them being called "I don't know".  I asked the lady at the window what the flavor was and she said, "I don't know, but that boy over there just ordered one so you can ask him".  So I did.  He said, "well, it kind of tastes like grape (pause) and kind of like mint". I think I will have to try that the next time we drive thru.



This is just a typical picture of the prairies that you see for kilometers and kilometers and kilometers. It's so nice though because you can see forever and forever and forever!



And this is what we came home to. Everytime Chris and I go somewhere we are always greeted with fresh flowers from Kelly!

3 comments:

Dixie Dee said...

Wow, so cool to see where you lived Lou Lou! A fun post, and I've heard that in Sask, you can see your dog runaway for days and days, do you think it's true? Did you get ice cream at the Milky Way? Of course you did, what am I thinking?! Glad you had a great 5 days!!!

Marilee said...

I have to say the drive to Regina is not too picturesque, but to be there in the summer is very nice. I like the humidity there and yes, The Milky Way as well.

Fun post and the flowers are "lovely". Oh yah, and I'm glad you're back!

MLH said...

We were just talking about a decent milk shake in Virginia and couldn't name a place... so we were most envious by the notion of milky way...
That Kelly is great value... we miss her! It's wonderful to have time out with our sweethearts... glad you went!