Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Story Of This Gun........(in my father's words)

"The gun, a Model "Remington Nylon 66" came out in the '60s. The "66" was a designation for the nylon used in the stock. I bought it for $39.95, which in today's money would be about $400.  Inflation, you know.  There was a magazine article about a shooter who set a record by using the same model gun to hit 10,000 small blocks of wood thrown into the air.  That convinced me ". 

"The case is a Christmas present I gave your Mother in about 1956-7 for her to use with her .22. A remington 513 (I think). We had a contest to see who could wrap the presents the best. I included an aspirin tin with a couple of B-Bs to confuse her when she shook the gift. I won the contest that year".

"Enjoy".


This gun and case is now ours to use. I am so glad that I know the story behind it because now it isn't just some gun that we bought somewhere.  If only guns could talk because my parents have lived in many different places! And..... if you could smell the case you would know it must have many stories to tell because it smells old and familiar!

Thank you Daddy for letting us take care of it now!

3 comments:

Marilee said...

I love hearing stories about the two of them. No doubt daddy won the wrapping contest. He is super clever. Can't wait to shoot it next spring.

Fun and unexpected post Lou Lou!

Dixie Dee said...

Interesting post Lou Lou! Such a neat story! Myron has great stories tucked away in that life history, hope you can find some more little gems! :)

MLH said...

What is is with this family and guns? ;-)