Wednesday, June 1, 2011

In Memory Of Our Suburban

1997-2011

Our Suburban is gone. We bought this suburban in the Spring of 1997 when we lived in Regina. It replaced our old blue government issued (it beeped when you backed up but we disabled that lovely distraction the day we brought it home!) one that we had bought the year Seth was born (1994) just days before giving birth (November 2). In fact the first time we drove that old suburban was to our friends Halloween party. I was Little Red Riding Hood and Chris was Forrest Gump. Anyway....back to the story of our suburban (above). The one that left us today.

This subruban served us well. Very well in fact. It took us to California to visit my sister and her family more than once, Montana to visit my parents when they lived in Lincoln, ski trips to Montana, Utah to visit my parents when they later moved to St. George, Las Vegas for my parents 50th wedding anniversary, our move to Alberta, to New Brunswick to visit Chris' family, many trips to the lake, school field trips, church, errands, gopher hunting, Friday night date nights, friends cottage, camping trips and many other places over the last 14 years that we owned it.

I loved driving it. I felt safe. It had 4 wheel drive so I knew I would never ever get stuck anywhere. And I didn't. It was no fun scraping the snow off the windows though in winter. See the flower decals on the back window? They have been scraped off by winter. Lee Lee bought those decals in Hawaii for me a long time ago. I hope the man who bought our suburban will enjoy our truck as much as we did.

Bye "my favorite truck ever"!

P.S.
See the picture below? It really isn't that red in real life. The sun must have been bright that day. Anyway, see the steering wheel cover? It's brown and doesn't match at all. But I love it. I love it because Caleb gave it to me. He gave it to me one year for Christmas when he was little. He bought it at the dollar store for a buck. I will miss that too. I know...silly.


3 comments:

Marilee said...

Are you gonna be ok Lou Lou? :( :(

I was sad when we sold our 240Z in Drayton Valley. It was our dating car, young married car, and the car we brought Clark home from the hospital in when he was born. It couldn't hold a car seat so I held Clark in my arms for the drive home. Yah, I hoped the new owners knew what a great car they got.

Less cars in your driveway makes neighbors happy :)

Dixie Dee said...

You have a "Sweet Car" to help ease the pain of losing the reliable, predictable Suburban, right? You still have the memories and now so do we!
Perhaps you should ask for a steering wheel cover for your B-day? Christmas is too far away!

Jo-Ann said...

I remember how happy you were to get your new white suburban. You'd pick me up and we'd head out on the Ring Road to our Tai Chi class. Bye Marilou's trusty suburban!