Thursday, March 17, 2011

Big Mountain in Whitefish, Montana

Chris and I drove down to Montana last week to look for some hardwood and tile for the main level of our home and to also go skiing. We were lucky and found what we were looking for at the first place we looked (Thank you Mark and Lee Lee for the suggestion)! We had a great time away and the skiing was great. And I mean great! Above zero temperatures + sunny and clear = perfect skiing! Chris had skied here quite a bit back in High School with his buddies and this was my first trip.



We took the road that people normally don't travel on in the winter but we didn't know until we were on it. The road had been closed the week before due to snow and high winds. Look at that 15 foot drift!



The drive was pretty scary at times with the winds blowing all the snow around so seeing this snow blower doing it's thing was a welcome sight.



As we were driving along on a different road but with equally bad weather a little Ford Focus passed us and we both thought that was a little crazy because of the very icy roads. Not more than 1 minute later that little Ford Focus slid and ended up needing some help to get straightened away. This is Chris and the guy that was behind us pushing that little Ford Focus out of the ditch.



We followed this Hummer up to Big Mountain. See the ski runs in the background? That is where we are headed!



We're on our way! Take the next right. See the Flag? No wind. Skiing is gonna be great!



We took a break for a few minutes at the Hellroaring Saloon and Eatery which was the original ski lodge at the resort and built in 1947.


Here is Chris about 1/2 way up the mountain with the mogul run down to the left.


Here I am at the same place. But I don't do moguls.



This is right at the top of the mountain. It's called Summit House. It was quite spectacular as you can see from the picture and seeing the two flags there side by side was pretty cool.



This picture and the one below are on the back (North) side of the mountain. I look mighty happy but I had just fallen. Twice. It was a little too steep for me but luckily it was only a short little steep run. I fell so many times this trip but that's okay because now I am an expert at getting up. But NOT an expert at putting my skis back on after a fall going downhill! See the trees covered in all that snow? They are called Snow Ghosts. One of the coolest things I have ever seen!!

5 comments:

Dixie Dee said...

Cool pictures! Don't you just love spring skiing? Sun, Warm, snow, outside with an incredible view!! Just awesome!! I'm coming next time!! Spring skiing is a good time to start the tan thing!! I love to ski in a T'shirt and snow pants!!

Marilee said...

I don't know about skiing there with all those ghosts. Spooky!

I'd say with Chris in the picture at the summit, that could be a spectacular Christmas card for this year.

Jo-Ann said...

Hi Marilou, I loved your post. Fantastic photos! Aren't snow ghosts the neatest thing? A magical landscape. Makes me want to go skiing.

Marilee said...

Love the new look and font. Very nice. Jo-Ann, comment on my blog cuz I know you look at it :)

MLH said...

What a gorgeous day... so funny how you spent the day in ice and snow and we spent that same time in t-shirts walking in the sunshine with popcorn popping everywhere! I loved looking at your adventure, but sure loved my sunshine cos it''s gonna snow here tomorrow - crazy March!!!